CBD has quickly gained popularity for treating many human ailments. It has shown promise as an anti-inflammatory and discomfort reliever, it is used as a topical treatment for common joint problems, and has been used to lessen the effects of stress. CBD seems to be a bit of a miracle in the wellness world, and many pet owners may wonder, does it have any benefit for dogs?
Just like aging humans, older dogs can lose mobility, suffer from joint discomfort, and may even show signs of stress. No one wants to see their fur baby suffer, but pharmaceutical options can be expensive and come with their own unpleasant side effects.
If you are exploring natural options for your not-so-young fur baby, keep reading. CBD can be a safe and effective option for many of the conditions that plague dogs as they age. We’ve gathered 5 reasons why CBD may be a good choice for your dog.
What Is CBD?
Before deciding to give your dog CBD supplements, you’ll want to know exactly what CBD is. CBD is a compound found in the hemp plant. Unlike its cousin, marijuana, hemp will not get you high. CBD or cannabidiol is non-psychoactive which means it does not have the same effect on the brain as the cannabinoid most people have heard of, THC. Hemp contains very little THC, so you don’t have to worry about it affecting your dog negatively.
CBD works by targeting receptors in the endocannabinoid system. This system of neurotransmitters and enzymes is responsible for regulating the immune response, cell communication, metabolism, appetite, and many other vital processes. The effects CBD has on this system are still being researched, but the way it interacts with and binds to the transmitters in the endocannabinoid system are why CBD seems to be promising in supporting a wide assortment of conditions.
CBD For Senior Dogs
CBD has shown great promise in supporting the body with a wide variety of issues. As research into CBD continues, there will doubtless be even more information on how beneficial this natural supplement can be. Below you’ll find just a few of the areas that CBD has been effective in helping:
1. Stiffness relief- If your dog is slowing down and beginning to suffer from stiffness, CBD may be a good natural option. CBD has shown effectiveness as a discomfort reliever and an anti-inflammatory.
There is some evidence that CBD can even slow the spread of stiffening muscles. A 2011 study showed that CBD acted on the receptors responsible for joint discomfort and helped slow the damage caused by mobility issues.
2. Improves mobility- Mobility issues aren't the only problem that can cause discomfort in your dog. Hip or elbow dysplasia and other degenerative joint disorders can all keep your dog sore and tender. Discomfort and joint dysfunction will reduce your dog’s ability to move. Stairs become more difficult, they can no longer run and play, and their quality of life is reduced.
The anti-inflammatory and discomfort-relieving properties of CBD may get your senior dog up and moving again. Continued movement helps your dog stay limber and promotes a better quality of life.
3. Soothes tension- Like older people, aging dogs may show an increase in stress and tension. This may even manifest similarly to the way Sundowners Syndrome (a stage of dementia) affects the elderly, with stress and confusion increasing towards the evening. This can result in barking, pacing, and defecating or urinating inside. CBD can have a calming effect on dogs and reduce the amount of stress or tension they feel.
4. Eases stomach problems- Older dogs have a reputation for being extra gassy, but there is a reason for this. As they age, gut mobility can slow, or your dog may have gastrointestinal side-effects from medications. CBD can help reduce gut inflammation and improve digestive mobility. This will decrease bloating and discomfort. If your dog has also begun to show a decreased interest in food, CBD may help.
Not only can it ease the digestive symptoms that may be causing their disinterest in food, but it can also help reduce vomiting. Best of all, it will trigger your senior dogs’ appetite, so they get the nutrients they need to stay strong and healthy.
5. It helps your dog sleep- Sleep is one of the most important things your body does to maintain your health. It helps the body recover from injury and illness and keeps your brain functioning. Lack of sleep can result in mood swings, a lowered immune system, and even high blood pressure. This is true for dogs, too.
Your senior dog may be restless and not sleeping well. This can be from aches or stress. CBD helps your dog get the rest they need to keep their body functioning and lessen the chance of injury and disease.
With all of these benefits, it may be time to talk to your vet about CBD for your dog. Always consult your dog’s veterinarian before adding supplements of any kind. While CBD is generally safe, every dog is different and it’s best to get a professional opinion.
If you have decided that CBD is the way to go, make sure the one you buy and use is made for dogs. Human products may contain unsafe levels of THC as well as ingredients that are not dog safe. Always look for products that have been third-party tested for quality. This ensures that the company is being transparent about what goes into its product.
Homescape Pets products are made with animals in mind. Our CBD supplements are made with organic, non-GMO ingredients and are safe for both dogs and cats. We also use third-party labs to test our supplements, so we can guarantee our quality.
If you want to learn more about our CBD products, you can take a look at them here.